What's it all about?

I'm not what you'd call a "natural runner". I used to run "the mile" at sports day when I was at school, which I thought was near impossible. One year I passed out: my french teacher made me drink sugary tea. Since I left school, I do occasionally run for a train. It usually hurts.

So the joke is, I trained for the Peterborough half marathon in 2011! It's a running joke, because it goes on (and on), and also because it's about running (see what I did there?). The serious part is, I started running because my friend Heather's mum died from lung cancer last year. With your help, I raised over £1200 for Macmillan. I feel very strongly that sponsorship money should be earned. I think I did that. I may raise money again some time, and hope you might help with that too.

But I aim to laugh about it. Read on...

Wednesday 23 May 2012

Two for the price of one???

What a cracker of a day! What a lovely day to be in the office... but wait... there's lunchtime, there's running. There's Dave. We decided to go up to the Millenium Bridge. It's a longer run, but what a cracker of a day. Dave said, as usual, that he would go at my pace. For some reason, while my average pace along is about 11 min/mile (I'm working on it...), my average pace with Dave appears to be closer to 9:30. If I hadn't already known that I ran the first half of a half marathon at this pace, I'd have stopped already. I told Dave about Sally blushing because of my comment about our last run being fast and strong. Over half way, I was really tired, and Dave softened and let me slow down to 10 min/miles. After a while, I suggested that if he could carry me part of the way, we could go for "Soft, long and very, very strong" on my next facebook update, but he declined. He clearly hadn't gone soft in the head anyway.

I told him about my internet date, and he said in quite a stern voice that I should "be nice". I'm slightly offended by this. As if I wouldn't be! This was one up on my mother though, who told me not to talk too much. A word about familial support: she also told me that I might try losing half a stone before The Tempest. It was after she'd seen me in the silver catsuit, and not a lot of other people have, though, so perhaps I should listen to her. Well, I'm doing my best with the running. Perhaps not so well on the cake-scoffing though.

The millennium Bridge run is about 7.5 miles, ish. My Garmin said 7.7, Dave's Garmin said 7.5 and my Runkeeper (on the phone) said 7.37. This is nuts. For one thing, the Runkeeper usually over-estimates. For another, Dave and I set our Garmins at the same time, and ran the same distance, and they are the same model. I may never know how far it is. I can tell you it was at least 8 though. And by 5 and a half, I really wanted to stop. Dave was unsympathetic. "Your challenge is to not run any slower: you can't get any slower than this and still be running." This is not true. We were going at 10:30 minute/miles at this point, and that is faster than most of my runs.

"The problem with you is, you fuck with my controller" I told him, which is one form of chat-up line I've previously not tried. Sally told me about the controller. Your mind tells you to slow down when you don't need to. Well, specifically, mine does. Dave's apparently tells him to go faster. Anyway, what you need to do is to over-ride the voices in your head. I did this by trying to keep up with Dave. He agreed, and said I fuck with his controller too, so at least it's mutual. I'm glad that at very least our controllers are getting some action. He said I slow him down, which he views as good, because he can't maintain his usual pace over long distances. Everyone's a winner.

When we came back to the office, the worst possible thing happened. Heather completely undid me. She did this, and it might seriously have been a case of Sally actually taking over her body in a weird Sci-fi way, by challenging me to continue doing the 5K every day in May, into June. Seriously. I'd just said that Sal had said I'd miss running in June. Heather seriously said "Why not? You like a challenge. You could carry on." And the worst thing was, it was a total mindfuck. Sorry about the bad language today, but you know, I've started so I'll finish. Or something.

Get sponsoring, people, and I'll tell you what the deal is.



No comments:

Post a Comment