What's it all about?

I'm not what you'd call a "natural runner". I used to run "the mile" at sports day when I was at school, which I thought was near impossible. One year I passed out: my french teacher made me drink sugary tea. Since I left school, I do occasionally run for a train. It usually hurts.

So the joke is, I trained for the Peterborough half marathon in 2011! It's a running joke, because it goes on (and on), and also because it's about running (see what I did there?). The serious part is, I started running because my friend Heather's mum died from lung cancer last year. With your help, I raised over £1200 for Macmillan. I feel very strongly that sponsorship money should be earned. I think I did that. I may raise money again some time, and hope you might help with that too.

But I aim to laugh about it. Read on...

Thursday 24 May 2012

Oscar Wilde

So, Heather, one of my favourite people,  said to me today, "Are you doing 5K a day or 5000 words a day?" (with her sharp Irish humour flowing through). "Too long" she said. It's what comes of knowing people with journalistic training. She said that the hardest assignment she had to do was to reduce a story to 300 words, but keep all the facts in. Someone quipped (I think it was Colin) that this must be why The Sun is such a good newspaper. She responded that the Sun journalists are some of the most talented, and it is pretty skillful. But back to me (MEEE) - I told her, misquoting Oscar, that I was too tired to write a shorter blog. I think he famously said "Sorry this is such a long letter, I didn't have time to write a shorter one". This is exactly how I feel. Heather will be horrified to hear that I do actually (usually) read the blog through, and often take out (even more) extraneous pieces of information. Although increasingly I'm just looking at readability.

Anyway, where was I, Wednesday. I'll tell you what happened on Wednesday, it was Pilates, which is brilliant, because my legs are so sore, they needed stretching; and also I told Anita that mum said I needed to lose another half stone for my Ariel costume, and Anita said "Where from?"!! Go Anita! This is the right response. I then went to meet Keith, who said mum was probably right. "Can I just remind you that this is my weight you are talking about?" I told him. "Yes, but I haven't seen you in the outfit, and your mum has, and she's usually right" he said coyly. He always agrees with mum.

I did the run after work, and picked a nice route, as I'm a bit bored with running up Newark Avenue, so I ran along the cycle way at the end of Padolme Road East, and through the new housing estate by the parkway, and down onto the river. It was REALLY warm. But I found Nic's ipod, so I had music again, which was nice, and I ran at almost Dave pace (not really) but nearly sub 30 mins. I still haven't beaten that time on my own. It's shocking really, I am never doing any extra distance on my own.

Then I got ready for my internet date. But anyway, short and sweet, that's what H said. I'd hate to disappoint...

No comments:

Post a Comment