What's it all about?

I'm not what you'd call a "natural runner". I used to run "the mile" at sports day when I was at school, which I thought was near impossible. One year I passed out: my french teacher made me drink sugary tea. Since I left school, I do occasionally run for a train. It usually hurts.

So the joke is, I trained for the Peterborough half marathon in 2011! It's a running joke, because it goes on (and on), and also because it's about running (see what I did there?). The serious part is, I started running because my friend Heather's mum died from lung cancer last year. With your help, I raised over £1200 for Macmillan. I feel very strongly that sponsorship money should be earned. I think I did that. I may raise money again some time, and hope you might help with that too.

But I aim to laugh about it. Read on...

Thursday 24 May 2012

Henry V

Anyway, I realise I left you all in suspense. So sorry. You'll recall on Tuesday that Heather unnecessarily taunted me into a challenge about continuing the challenge all the way through June, and I said I'd tell you my decision. This is clearly ridiculous, and as I have been struggling immensely with the May challenge, it would belittle my effort if I suggested to my sponsors thus far that it would be an easy challenge to continue. I not only don't think it would be an easy challenge to continue, I also think it would be bad for me to continue it. I'm not saying anything against Sally for suggesting it... I'm just saying, my calves could do with a break, and I'm a little worried about my knees. Maybe less barefoot running. Well, I don't know. I still kind of like it. Slowly, slowly, I think. Maybe more walking in the barefoot shoes, I think that would be good. Anyway, the point it, what am I going to do about Heather's gauntlet? I always think, if someone drops a gauntlet, pick it up and give it back. No, really. So what I thought I'd do, never one to ignore a challenge, is this: I'll attempt to continue the challenge by agreeing to do 35km a week. That's the same, right, except I can do long runs and short ones, and miss out days here and there. Right?

OK, so go ahead. Show your support. In the time-honoured fashion. HERE. Heather.

Right, anyway, today. I had to go running in the sun, by myself. Dave had some ridiculous excuse about having done Boxercise the day before, and meetings. It sounded like an excuse to me. As usual, I attempted to go at Dave pace, and ended up at Emma pace. Although interestingly, the Garmin thought I was running 6 minute miles at the start. I can assure you, I wasn't. I'm beginning to think it isn't working terribly well.

And I'll tell you what was weighing on my mind. It's the same thing that you're thinking now. It was about that date. It wasn't that he was unpleasant, he was fine. He was just. Not really what I had in mind. And I haven't told him. And well, no one gets satisfaction out of delivering that blow. Well, no one nice, anyway. I mean, if he was horrible, it might be quite satisfying, but he wasn't horrible, and I am pretty sure he was quite nervous as well... but maybe Jonni was right. When I was telling people at rehearsal how it went, Jonni said, "What WAS that monologue you did at Drama on TAp? I could tell the date wasn't going very well - you were clearly trying to scare him!" OK, I might have gotten a bit shouty.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment