What's it all about?

I'm not what you'd call a "natural runner". I used to run "the mile" at sports day when I was at school, which I thought was near impossible. One year I passed out: my french teacher made me drink sugary tea. Since I left school, I do occasionally run for a train. It usually hurts.

So the joke is, I trained for the Peterborough half marathon in 2011! It's a running joke, because it goes on (and on), and also because it's about running (see what I did there?). The serious part is, I started running because my friend Heather's mum died from lung cancer last year. With your help, I raised over £1200 for Macmillan. I feel very strongly that sponsorship money should be earned. I think I did that. I may raise money again some time, and hope you might help with that too.

But I aim to laugh about it. Read on...

Saturday 5 May 2012

Olfactory nerve endings

Well, on day 3, Thursday, I had a rehearsal, but when I checked the schedule, I found out that Rich was running two sections, and I was only in the second, so I texted him to ask if it was OK to rock up an hour late, and he said that was fine. This was good, it meant that I didn't do another night-patrol of the streets of Dogsthorpe/Millfield. It also managed to not be raining, which was good. Less good was that I was also quite tired, and really hungry. My suspicions that I'm not entirely over the cold virus was confirmed today when I sneezed over my hand, and, without too graphic a description, really wished I'd had a tissue.

I didn't have a lot of time to plan a different route, so I added another corner onto my route, to make up for yesterday's shortage, and ran it the other way round. This took me past the Golden Cod. I'm not bragging about my olfactory nerve endings here, because I know that chips are pretty easy to pick out. It seemed wrong, how much I wanted some chips, while on a run, that's all I'm saying. Round the corner, I was able to pick out the slightly different scent of a kebab shop, which I didn't even know was there. This was clearly a plot to make me hungrier.

I've been feeling unnecessarily slow for these runs. I know perfectly well that if running Dave was with me, we'd be going much faster. It is a lot slower than the time I ran that 10k race at Belvoir Castle last year. But at the current time, my thoughts are: go with it. Let's just warm up to this month, and get the challenge done. About this moment, however, I passed one of those digital displays that tell motorists their speed, and it lit up and said 23 mph, which amused me somewhat - going faster than I thought, then! Up Eastfield Road, and then down passed Tony's old house, vaguely thinking it was nice to be out in daylight. I've been doing some permutations in my route around the end of this street (left or right), and I decided to go for the shorter route, because I could always add some more on at the end. I passed another speed sign, which ALSO flashed up 23mph. Coincidence?

At the top end of Dogsthorpe Road, I checked my distance, and decided I wasn't going to make the 5k total unless I added something in, so I decided to run down Park Road, and then cut back along one of the streets to Dogsthorpe, giving myself a dog-leg of extra road. I tried to figure out which road had fewer people I knew on it. All Souls is where Fiona and Steve live, as well as Kate and Rich; and possibly Marcus. But Princes Gate is where Ian, Tim, Megan and Stewart live. I opted for All Souls, although primarily because I got to it first.

I'd reached a state of lethargy by now that was frankly, annoying even me, so first checking that my distance was about right, I thought it was time to speed up for the end of the run. I ran faster along Dogsthorpe (past Pete and Jenny) and turned up Granville Street, I started to sprint. Now, what with the whole phlegm thing, I have to admit to feeling slightly sick some of the time, but as I turned the corner, although there was no one in sight, there was such a strong smell of marijuana that I physically gagged. Seriously. Once again, I do possess a fine set of olfactory nerve endings, but...

I'm not bragging about what you can get right on my doorstep or anything (not literally - although they might deliver). I'm actually unsure where the law stands on Mary Jane these days, but I can't believe the police don't know about this, I think they've made some house-raids in that area already. Oh the joys of being home! Anyway, the run ended up being bang on 5k, so that was a result. On a high, you might say.

No comments:

Post a Comment