What's it all about?

I'm not what you'd call a "natural runner". I used to run "the mile" at sports day when I was at school, which I thought was near impossible. One year I passed out: my french teacher made me drink sugary tea. Since I left school, I do occasionally run for a train. It usually hurts.

So the joke is, I trained for the Peterborough half marathon in 2011! It's a running joke, because it goes on (and on), and also because it's about running (see what I did there?). The serious part is, I started running because my friend Heather's mum died from lung cancer last year. With your help, I raised over £1200 for Macmillan. I feel very strongly that sponsorship money should be earned. I think I did that. I may raise money again some time, and hope you might help with that too.

But I aim to laugh about it. Read on...

Tuesday 8 May 2012

Scientists.

I did a lunchtime run today, 5km in 32 minutes (actually it was 31 minutes and 58 seconds). And WHO'S TO SAY if it was my fastest run yet because I'm being very sensible, and slowly warming up, or if it's because I'm all better from the nasty virus, or if maybe, it's because I was in bed (with lights out and everything) by 11pm last night, AND I went at lunchtime and not at the end of the day (when I was, co-incidentally, knackered). I don't know, I don't have a control me to run several versions of the test. I can't be a scientist, I can just speculate...

I went out, and it was sunny, although not warm, and realised that in my trainers, I didn't want to wade through water. I asked people who live that way, but they'd been avoiding the river because of the burst banks (I mean, overtopping). Anyway, one of them suggested I give the north bank of the river a go, so I did, I headed out towards the rowing lake from work. As I crossed the lights at the Lido, I saw George, who often seems to head out for a stroll. He mentioned that the floods had gone right down, which was music to my ears. Actually, it was the only music I had, because I forgot to take my earphones to work today. But that's OK. A bit closer to nature. And my thoughts (which is alarming).

The garmin initially thought I was going at 8:30 minute miles. I don't know where it gets these notions from. I mean, OK, I do set out fast and slow down, but not that fast. Ever. It quickly readjusted, and I kept it at 9:30 for some time, but it crept up to above 10 minute miles by the time I was a mile and half in. Which was a shame, I thought to myself, admiring the sticky mud that hadn't quite dried off the path along the now mainly dry footpath. Because I'd like to make today a faster run, get my speed back up. I tried to consciously not let it slack, but it was quite hard. It was easier to admire the foliage on the white poplar, and the blossom on some of the trees, and the people sitting on the park bench... no, don't slow down... Are we nearly there yet?

I was mile-watching the garmin at the same time as trying to divide 3.13 by 2, because I had no intention of running the whole distance around the rowing lake today. I was going to come right back when I'd got half way. And obviously I hadn't changed the units on the Garmin, primarily because I have no idea how to work it, and actually, often struggle to make it start recording. Actually, I had the phone going as well as the garmin, because I havent figured out how to upload the Garmin data onto the interweb yet, so I'm using Runkeeper as well. Anyway, it turned out to be simpler just to get my phone out of my pocket to figure out when I'd gone 2.5 miles. There was an anxious moment when I thought I'd have to go down the hill, and then turn and go back up it (UP HILL). For people who don't live in Peterborough... I mean, when I say hill, it's maybe more.. of an incline. Oh, never mind.

Anyway, by a feat of brilliance, 2.5km was exactly shy of the gentle incline, and I was spared deciding whether or not to run fast down it to make up the time coming back. There were a couple of other undulations on the way back, though, and I did pelt down as much as possible, and noticed it was taking masses off my average speed, so resolved to do it as much as possible. Coupled with the sprint finish, I had my average speed down to 9:40 by the end. Which was good, except I had to overshoot the office, because I hadn't quite made 5km. Julian (Pilates Julian) was somewhat perplexed on his return from town, I think he thought I had decided to sprint up to see him, which would be unusual behaviour, even for me.

Talking about spurious blog-mentions that are clearly intended just to get my readership boosted, I also saw Stewart in the office, who had already heard that he was in my blog, and had located the article. He appeared somewhat taken aback that I had described him as usually mild-mannered. I forgot to explain the literary reference here. That being to the highbrow cartoon strip Calvin and Hobbes, where Calvin describes himself as Mild-Mannered Calvin in contrast to his alter-ego, Stupendous Man. I wonder if Stewart has an alter-ego? I expect he does. Now I know he has a fiery, burst river-bank side to him.

I've got it, I know why I was faster today. It'll be the bare-foot training that's done it. Go ahead, prove it wasn't... And now, I'm late for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment