What's it all about?

I'm not what you'd call a "natural runner". I used to run "the mile" at sports day when I was at school, which I thought was near impossible. One year I passed out: my french teacher made me drink sugary tea. Since I left school, I do occasionally run for a train. It usually hurts.

So the joke is, I trained for the Peterborough half marathon in 2011! It's a running joke, because it goes on (and on), and also because it's about running (see what I did there?). The serious part is, I started running because my friend Heather's mum died from lung cancer last year. With your help, I raised over £1200 for Macmillan. I feel very strongly that sponsorship money should be earned. I think I did that. I may raise money again some time, and hope you might help with that too.

But I aim to laugh about it. Read on...

Sunday 13 May 2012

Superwoman

 
Yep, I think that just about personifies me. Well anyway. Early start this morning, rehanging a door with my dad at 8, and at breakfast, mum suggested cooking the chickpeas - fab idea! So, back in the Borough, I was invited to a Spanish-themed birthday party at half three, so I was planning on bringing a chickpea and chorizo stew. Fantastically, mum actually had some chorizos as well as some chickpeas, shaving off 40 minutes, and saving me lugging my bags across to Waitrose on my way home. I soaked the chickpeas overnight, and mum cooked them this morning, while I was helping dad. Mum took me to the station at 9, and I'd just got on the train when Maggie texted. She was clearly worried about having asked me to do cooking when I was preoccupied and travelling and stuff. "I've got 3 tins of chickpeas if that helps at all" it read."Chickpeas cooked. Chorizos acquired" I replied. "Sorry. You are superwoman, I should have realised you'd have it under control" she texted. 

Yes I am. I managed to get a train that for some reason, the rail companies never advertise as possible. You can get to Haywards Heath by getting a train to Kings Cross, crossing via the London Underground to Victoria, and taking the Brighton train from there. However, you can also take the train from St Pancras International, which runs from Brighton to Bedford. It takes slightly longer than the train from Victoria, but you don't have to be in the underground at all. To me, that's faster, and much nicer. I have no idea why it never comes up as an option. When I used to do it, it always rejected my ticket in the machine, so I have developed the habit of just showing it to the people, without even bothering with the machine. I did that today, so I can't say whether it would have mounted an objection or not. I arrived in time for an earlier train, and with enough excess time to buy a falafel wrap at the marvellous Yalla Yalla (Beirut Streetfood) in Kings Cross. Oh, and pick up a bit of extra Chorizo at St Pancras station, cos they have posh shops over there.

I arrived home at midday, prepared my chickpea thing (largely invented - it was tasty!), and downloaded a monologue - because at 1:30 I was due at Peterborough Community Radio to help Tom in a radio show, where we were going to tell everyone about Drama on Tap, which is next on Wednesday 23 May, 8:30, Brewery Tap. Peter and I did a bit of monologue each, and had a banter with Tom and James, it was great fun. I was mainly doing that because Summer is on holiday **miss Summer** and so I said I'd help get the promotion out there for her. I forgot to Facebook that I was doing it though. BAD ME. But great fun, nonetheless.

So then, I got back home by about 2, and that was the interlude - between 2 and 3:30 - when I was scheduling the run. Because even Superwoman has to plan her day out, you know: these crimes won't prioritise themselves. I sat on the sofa to check out something on iPlayer, and woke up at 3. That wasn't supposed to happen! I dragged on the running things, and pegged it. I managed the first mile, and felt in good fettle, happily doing 9:13 minute miles, which was brilliant. If I could keep this up, I could easily beat 30 minutes, which would be top! Just past the second mile, about 2.4, I was slowing slightly, slipping along Newark Avenue (I blame Suzanne Vega) ever so gradually, 9:19, and then 9:27. Right at the end of Newark Avenue, a fire truck deliberately waited till it was right behind me, and started its siren. I'm not kidding, my heart almost stopped. I did stop. Sorry, and all. I mean, I didn't just stop, I still had to get home, but I walked for a minute. Fortunately, Eye of the Tiger came on, and it felt wrong to be walking, so it rescued me at a critical point, but, I've said it before, and I know it's true - it's really hard starting again. I'd lost my mojo, and knew I wasn't going to get that speed back up. The garmin slipped back to 12 minute miles (that as the average lap time), but slowly crept back to about 11:30. I did get my speed back, ish, and I did the 5km in 31 minutes (so THINK how fast I'll be able to do it next time). And it was a lovely day. And I had a great contribution for the party.

I slipped my pretty tshirt dress on after a lightning shower, and pegged off up the road. Just in time for a glass of Cava. Wait, I didn't get any sponsorship at the party. FAIL.

2 comments:

  1. To beat 30 mins you have to play 'Teddy Bear' by Elvis

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about Viva Las Vegas? Or is that too fast?

    ReplyDelete