What's it all about?

I'm not what you'd call a "natural runner". I used to run "the mile" at sports day when I was at school, which I thought was near impossible. One year I passed out: my french teacher made me drink sugary tea. Since I left school, I do occasionally run for a train. It usually hurts.

So the joke is, I trained for the Peterborough half marathon in 2011! It's a running joke, because it goes on (and on), and also because it's about running (see what I did there?). The serious part is, I started running because my friend Heather's mum died from lung cancer last year. With your help, I raised over £1200 for Macmillan. I feel very strongly that sponsorship money should be earned. I think I did that. I may raise money again some time, and hope you might help with that too.

But I aim to laugh about it. Read on...

Wednesday 5 October 2011

Ready or not.

I had some training planned for this week... it went, Wednesday, 45 minutes, "at that slightly uncomfortable pace", then Friday, 20 minutes jog. I could barely stand upright in the office today. And it wasn't just because of the racking cough - that calf muscle started giving me gyp again. Furthermore, I felt nauseous all day. I don't know if it was the whole tight throat coupled with phlegm (mmm!) or nerves, or gastric troubles, but it was rubbish. I didn't eat breakfast, and then felt more sick. All in all, I felt like a crumbling wreck all day. Various sympathetic friends (Sue) suggested I should add some more times to the sweepstake.

I saw Sal at coffee time, who came to check how the weekend training had gone. I looked so doleful, she knew something was wrong. "Did you not do it?" she asked. "Oh no, the run at the weekend was fine" I said "it's just I'm still falling apart". She looked disbelieving in a way that suggested not that she didn't believe me, but more that she couldn't believe anyone could possibly be as sick as me. It's a fair point. I did say quite early on that if I didn't train every time I got sick, I was in for a fairly chequered training routine.

Anyway, it's not all bad news. She says that this week's training isn't necessary. She says I've done all the work to get the time I want, and this week is more psychological. She said the fast run today was just to "remind my legs they can run fast". If I'm honest, I think they remember. She said I could go swimming instead but then added "but I wouldn't, not with a chest like that". So that's the alternative out the window. Feeling absolutely sure it would, I told people "I'm going to do it if it kills me", and was horrified to learn that in fact, two people died doing the Great Eastern Run last year. I couldn't find anything that said why they died, though.

I did manage to do pilates at lunchtime, although I was hoping to lie on my mat at the back of the class and have a snooze, Anita made me come to the front, on the seemingly frivolous grounds that the sun coming in from the window would warm me up. Then she complained when I coughed over her. Some people! She also said she could tell something was wrong because I was being so quiet. She said it unnerved her. Anyway, I was quite pleased I'd made an effort because she noticed that I wasn't being very flexible and put in some extra exercises for me. By the end of the class, I was warmed up enough to do them. I might try doing some pilates on Sunday morning.

This is it, everyone. I'll give you an update on Friday to tell you if I go for that 20 minute jog, but I'm nearly there. Ready or not, it's race time. So there's just time to say: if you haven't sponsored me yet, and you're still reading this, then please consider doing so. If I don't know you, and you've enjoyed the blog, just write "love the blog"! - there is a link at the top right of the screen. And if I do know you, please remember that your support means everything to me. Oh, and if you live abroad... I checked, and Just Giving can accept your donation!

THANKS xx

1 comment:

  1. They usually die of an undiscovered heart defect or from OVERDRINKING plain water :-O More often the former in a half. XXX

    P.S. Don't worry

    PPSSSSSSS Be really great! XXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete