What's it all about?

I'm not what you'd call a "natural runner". I used to run "the mile" at sports day when I was at school, which I thought was near impossible. One year I passed out: my french teacher made me drink sugary tea. Since I left school, I do occasionally run for a train. It usually hurts.

So the joke is, I trained for the Peterborough half marathon in 2011! It's a running joke, because it goes on (and on), and also because it's about running (see what I did there?). The serious part is, I started running because my friend Heather's mum died from lung cancer last year. With your help, I raised over £1200 for Macmillan. I feel very strongly that sponsorship money should be earned. I think I did that. I may raise money again some time, and hope you might help with that too.

But I aim to laugh about it. Read on...

Monday 27 June 2011

Starting out.

Let me introduce you to the cast. I say this because I'm in a play at the moment, (opening tomorrow night - you should come!) so I have a theatrical turn of phrase at the moment. It won't last. Well, there's me obviously. I'll be the one doing the running, and whatever else Sal has in store for me. And there's Sal. She's a colleague of mind who is what you might call a "fitness fanatic". Well, I don't know about fanatical. She never actually made me do this. Maybe more "freak". If you want to find out more about Sal as a fitness coach, you can follow her on Facebook, she has a a page called Fit Naturally. Some of the healthy food options actually look really tempting... and she has the nicest, sweetest voice you can imagine, and she's very pretty...

But, well, there's just something slightly scary about her. After I'd got the idea to do this half marathon thing, I asked Nige (we'll meet him in a minute) how one goes about making a plan to do "training", and he suggested two options: look on google, or ask Sal. Now, I foolishly thought the latter would be easier. Let's just say, if Sal tells me to do something, I'm going to do it. Probably. So I asked her how to start my training, and before I'd got the 20 m back to my desk, she had set up a shared spreadsheet in google reader with boxes for me to fill in when and how far I run, and how much it hurt.

There's also some folk at work who call themselves "Natural Runners". This is a play-on-words, or pun, about my organisation, which is called Natural England. I am the only "Unnatural Runner" who goes out with them. Although we do have Puff the Magic Dragon, or Tom, who likes to get back FIRST. Also, Chris, who always sends us encouraging emails, other (moustachioed) Chris, and Dave, when he can make it.  And there'll be Nigel (of course) once his physio lets him out with us again. There's a few other folk who also run, but not with us. When we get back, there's only one shower. This causes some tension.

Right, that'll do. I'll have to do what Shakespeare does, and introduce the rest of the cast as they occur to me. ("Ah-ha, Vincencio, my father, Welcome" - that would be David if it were true. But I don't think he'll be making much of an appearance). But do expect the odd appearance from Frank, the cat. He doesn't come running with me, but I'm sure he'll find a way in here. Even if it means getting into my sports bag.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Emma, please get some early nights. Many thanks. Love Sal xx
    PS Frank, I love you
    Another PS Have you considered triathlon since you like swimming?

    ReplyDelete