What's it all about?

I'm not what you'd call a "natural runner". I used to run "the mile" at sports day when I was at school, which I thought was near impossible. One year I passed out: my french teacher made me drink sugary tea. Since I left school, I do occasionally run for a train. It usually hurts.

So the joke is, I trained for the Peterborough half marathon in 2011! It's a running joke, because it goes on (and on), and also because it's about running (see what I did there?). The serious part is, I started running because my friend Heather's mum died from lung cancer last year. With your help, I raised over £1200 for Macmillan. I feel very strongly that sponsorship money should be earned. I think I did that. I may raise money again some time, and hope you might help with that too.

But I aim to laugh about it. Read on...

Wednesday 9 December 2015

Emma 1: Cumbria 0


After Halloween, I picked up a cold. It was a pity, because my masterplan was to use a week’s leave, which I’d taken because I’ve been directing a play, and show-week is stressful enough without added work, to kick-start some really good runs, in advance of the Hereward Relay. But I got a cold, with a proper chesty cough, and didn’t do any running at all. The cough turned into one of those that sit on your chest like something out of Alien, and occasionally, inbetween exhaustion, you want to bare your teeth at people and scream. Oh no, wait, that wasn’t the cold. Anyway, the point is, I had loads of training to do, and I didn’t do any. So as per usual, I felt the weeks slipping by with another race day rapidly approaching. And Hereward, you know, it’s not a forgiving race. So when I realised that I had a little over a week, I thought it’s kill or cure, time to get out there. I traipsed out from the office on Thursday lunchtime, pushing myself to go along the river path because I knew the mud underfoot would be similar to the Hereward Relay, and although it was a nice enough day, I was exhausted, and kept finding myself slowing down to a walk. I forgave myself, magnanimously, and abridged my route to do a wide circle around the rowing lake (the upper path) and then back down the river. I walked at least 3 times in a 3 mile stretch. But it had been a fortnight, and I wasn’t exactly better. Although the running didn’t make me cough while I was doing it, there was a significant deterioration each time I ventured out, which was irritating.

On Saturday, up in Cumbria, I suggested to the Baron that we might go out together for some exercise. He was excited, because I said he could go on the bike, and said he knew just the route. I had fondly imagined that, like our excursion to buy the beast, we would ride and run together, but I had figured without a fatbike and a fell, and the ensuing excitement that generated. I’ll say this for him: the figure in the distance did pause long enough to make sure I’d clocked the right route. Although as the pathway climbed, and the clouds lowered, there were times that I felt more as if I were an Australian aborigine, tracking my quarry. It’s these moments of togetherness, I mused.

Still, despite the company, the route was brilliant. I’ve always been slightly suspicious of fell-runners because the likelihood of turning your ankle on uneven ground seems extremely high (and indeed, I did have a couple of “moments” on the run). The important thing, in my mind, however, was that it was on grass and mud, and furthermore, was going uphill, so it ticked every box for Hereward. And despite the low cloud, it felt beautiful, and the tempting, taunting peeks I got through parted cloud confirmed it. Cumbria – it’s alright.

I'd also like to point out that Cumbria boasts its own patented "foot-cooling solution" which ensure that no matter how fast you run, you won't overheat! I'm pretty sure that's what it was for, anyway.  And it turned out we did about 6 miles, it had involved one or two walks, but mainly running, and sure enough, the cough got worse afterwards – but I got in some good training! I’m sure that counts. 

How long can coughs possibly go on for, anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment