What's it all about?

I'm not what you'd call a "natural runner". I used to run "the mile" at sports day when I was at school, which I thought was near impossible. One year I passed out: my french teacher made me drink sugary tea. Since I left school, I do occasionally run for a train. It usually hurts.

So the joke is, I trained for the Peterborough half marathon in 2011! It's a running joke, because it goes on (and on), and also because it's about running (see what I did there?). The serious part is, I started running because my friend Heather's mum died from lung cancer last year. With your help, I raised over £1200 for Macmillan. I feel very strongly that sponsorship money should be earned. I think I did that. I may raise money again some time, and hope you might help with that too.

But I aim to laugh about it. Read on...

Tuesday 11 September 2012

Four Weeks in Ju...

HEY, IS ANYONE OUT THERE?

OK, so basically, I'm going to have to skip some news, or "olds" as it has now become. I'll stick to the key facts.

June ended. Well, I guess you noticed. I did do the 35K every week in June, but I wasn't terribly good at it, so what it boiled down to was me doing maybe a couple of short runs during the week, and then the weekend rolling around and me figuring out that I still had a long way to run. So it came to pass that I was running about 13 miles every weekend. Cool. I was just jogging along, but I wasn't coming in much over my Great Eastern Run time. And it didn't even hurt. I might have even enjoyed it.

Yes, I'm still enjoying running. This is all getting surreal now.


July started pretty well - I was playing Ariel in The Tempest, which was feckin' awesome. Unfortunately, I managed to get some sort of a stomach bug, so I didn't do a whole lot else that week, I'm pretty sure that involved not running, apart from obviously, to one particular room in the house quite a lot. The whole Ariel costume thing was a challenge, as it was essentially a silver cat suit, so the stomach upset was a bit nerve-inducing. Ah, there are a million stories about the Tempest! My funny internet-date incident, where I went for a drink with this chap, and one of the cast accidentally crashed my date... I had to drop him less-than-subtle hints. We had an awesome cast, and it was a lot of fun. And, as you cans see from the image on the left, I was pretty spirit-like in my acting.  After I finished acting, and got better, I had a week or so off running, to get better properly, and then started up again. I can't remember anything note-worthy, apart from the awesome Sunday night I went running during some sort of footballing event, (Euros? Germany? I dunno) and actually didn't see a single person, except a fisherman.  To be honest, this might have been in June. It's all a blur now. Like me.

August.... August I can remember some of. Not much. I must have been running, though, because we went up to the Edinburgh Festival just part midway, and I took my running stuff. I only did one run, around Arthur's Seat, with Summer. It reminded me how much training I'd been doing the year before, in my lead-up to The Half Marathon. The one that was going to be The One and Only... and now isn't. I wasn't up for so long this time, though. We went to see some brilliant shows, including Clockwork Orange, which was amazing, Harry Baker, an awesome young poet, who put together a very physical piece of poetry, and moved me so much I did give his free show a good tip, and some comedians - Mark Watson, very very funny, Richard Herring, and Jim Jeffries. I have NEVER seen anyone demolish a heckler quite so effectively in my life as Jim Jeffries. This in itself was worth seeing. His humour is not to everyone's taste, although I found it pretty funny, but OUCH. We also went to see the Magnets, of course, who put together a brand-new show called Home Grown, with the best of British as its theme.

I'm getting to current days now, I might start fresh. Thanks for keeping up with me. Things are getting interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment