What's it all about?

I'm not what you'd call a "natural runner". I used to run "the mile" at sports day when I was at school, which I thought was near impossible. One year I passed out: my french teacher made me drink sugary tea. Since I left school, I do occasionally run for a train. It usually hurts.

So the joke is, I trained for the Peterborough half marathon in 2011! It's a running joke, because it goes on (and on), and also because it's about running (see what I did there?). The serious part is, I started running because my friend Heather's mum died from lung cancer last year. With your help, I raised over £1200 for Macmillan. I feel very strongly that sponsorship money should be earned. I think I did that. I may raise money again some time, and hope you might help with that too.

But I aim to laugh about it. Read on...

Sunday 15 January 2012

**Interim**

Well, first off, apologies. I've let you all down. After the amazing vote of confidence I received on Facebook, where if memory serves me correctly (and it's stretching the little grey cells by several months now) at least 18 people voted by means of hitting **like** on my status, that I should carry on blogging. No one seemed remotely concerned about the running.

But I was concerned, and I'll tell you why: politely, most people have feigned not to notice (once again, my mother stands out as the exception here) but over the past few years, I've been carrying at least a stone of extra weight. I know, it's my height, I hide it well. But it's bothered me, on and off, especially when trying on clothes.

Now, happily in this instance, (although the times when it is a blessing is actually pretty limited) I have an aversion to throwing stuff away, and this applies moreso to clothes than other junk (although it certainly isn't in any way restricted to clothes). This is in fact, my mother's fault - she has never thrown away anything that "still wear in it". My sisters appear to deal with this childhood trauma of understanding that throwing away clothes that still have wear in them, by donating their clothes to my mother. But I'm not so crass.  I keep all mine. This has been fab, because over the passed few months it's dawned on me that I can actually fit into clothes that I bought over 10 years ago. Woo-hoo!

And then Christmas arrived, when the average person eats 6000 calories in one day. And I'm no average person.

So, to keep you in the picture, I think I went running about twice between completing the Great Eastern Run and Christmas. And I failed you all by not blogging either of them. But I'm back. New strategy. New race.... welcome to the Hastings Half.

No comments:

Post a Comment