What's it all about?

I'm not what you'd call a "natural runner". I used to run "the mile" at sports day when I was at school, which I thought was near impossible. One year I passed out: my french teacher made me drink sugary tea. Since I left school, I do occasionally run for a train. It usually hurts.

So the joke is, I trained for the Peterborough half marathon in 2011! It's a running joke, because it goes on (and on), and also because it's about running (see what I did there?). The serious part is, I started running because my friend Heather's mum died from lung cancer last year. With your help, I raised over £1200 for Macmillan. I feel very strongly that sponsorship money should be earned. I think I did that. I may raise money again some time, and hope you might help with that too.

But I aim to laugh about it. Read on...

Saturday 3 September 2011

That Friday feeling.

So let me tell you about Friday. I had instructions. I had a plan. The plan was better than the instructions. The plan was to get up in the morning (not something I do, but something I like the idea of more than people realise) and go for a run. Then, have a recovery swim at lunchtime. I thought that was a nice touch.

What actually happened was, I woke up in the morning feeling like I'd been run over by a tank and then rung through a mangle. Really. I felt flattened. Moving was tricky, let alone running. I decided sleep was of paramount importance (this often happens) and got straight on it. I did get up with enough time to try my new muesli recipe (that's Granola, if you're State-side). I was pretty pleased with it. I don't like muesli, it usually tastes a bit dusty, or just too much. But something had to be done about the breakfast thing, and I'd got bored of my old breakfast a couple of months ago, tasty though it is (oats soaked overnight in apple-juice, then add yoghurt and fresh smushed up fruit - raspberries or strawbs - best of all, if you don't feel like eating, you just add more apple juice and drink it like a smoothie). So the new muesli consisted of oats toasted with a little butter and honey, and almonds and walnuts, also toasted, added to the mix, then a bunch of sesame that was in the cupboard, and a handful of raisins. It was good, I had it with yoghurt.

I got on with work, which is just something that has to be done, you know, so they pay you and stuff (that's how it is at the moment, a bit. Usually it's a bit more than this. Then people you really like just go and leave, and makes you upset). At lunchtime, I went for the swim. It was good. I didn't do loads, because I ran out of time, but I did half an hour, and swam 40 lengths. I lacked the energy to do crawl all the time, so the best time, up in Edinburgh, for crawl, when I did like 75 lengths and 60 were crawl, remains unbeaten, but I could generally feel the swim doing me good.

So I knew I'd be OK for the race tomorrow. Also, Heather, who agreed to take me there, suggested we go out for dinner in Stamford, which was great. We went to The Barn or something - luckily it was nicer than a barn. Heather suggested I order the chicken and pasta, but it seemed a bit boring, so I ordered the beef wellington instead. I've always wondered why you'd wrap a piece of beef in rubber, but it was very tasty.

All set for tomorrow then.


No comments:

Post a Comment